Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our sons black lab started acting strange approx 24 hrs ago.

Customer Question
Our sons black lab...

Our sons black lab started acting strange approx 24 hrs ago. Shaky strange. We went and got her because he had to go to work. She slept with our daughter while our son was at work. The dog did not want to wake up this morning. When she did she woke with a startle...fell to the floor couldn't use her back legs urinated all over went crazy around the room knocking over a chair and table before we could hold her still. We wrestled her to the car and went to the vet. Her temp was 107! She was given valium and placed in a cool bath. 2+ hours later she was 101. She was given an IV, an anti inflammatory med and some acepramazine to help with the irrational behavior. Once we got home our son was home...hysterical. he feels that the dog ate 2 brownies made with hash from his room! She still has the IV in place, I have been running it slow all day. She has only had 1 outburst since being home. But...She wakes Bob's her head around and flops back down. We have her surrounded with towels and such TO collect her urine. We are scared. Should we be doing more?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name?

Hannah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hannah?

She is otherwise healthy. 6 years old.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 19 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
She is more awake. Woke with a startle at 5am and pull IV out. Got scared it took 3 of us to get her calmed down. Was able to stand but would not move. Got her laid back down. Her eyes look better but she is starting to whine more not sleep

Do you have video to share of the episodes you're seeing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian