Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Here. It is crazy itchy at my house. I have 2 cockers who I…

Customer Question
Hello, Kim here. It...

Hello, Kim here. It is crazy itchy at my house. I have 2 cockers who I believe have some type of lice or mites. In addition both have a few small very pink bumps like a red pimple with no white center.have 3 pics for u to see. It looks to me like some nits and maybe body’s. A darker brown ish wet looking ring around eyes .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the cocker can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cocker's name and age?

And neither want a brush near their head or ears. Very not like them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cocker?

A stable named Cla is 3-4 or 9. Adored rescue. He is in your files from last year. Rowan 10 yrs blonde /red

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cocker's name?

Sable

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also Both adults itching I showered with Nix Ultra Dimethicone. Several areas on arms . Camera shot revealles multiple white/silvery areas on scalp and silvery white disquisition along cuticles and under bales. Difficult to remove. Itching below chest. I didn’t think bugs transferred between human and dogs
Do you want to see pix???
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about your two wee ones.

First, I would just note that the little lump you posted a picture of actually doesn't look like a pimple but instead looks like a cyst or possible wart. Both are common in this breed and we'd just want to monitor those as we try to help with their other signs. That aside, given both are affected, we'd have to be wary of mites/lice but we can also see allergies or bacterial infection appear this way. Fungal agents (which can cause scaling) are also a concern but usually aren't itchy for them. And just to note, mites in dogs don't usually spread to people, so while a rare bite from them is possible infection with them is thankfully not an issue.

With this all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. First, its worth treating both dogs with a multi-species anti-parasitic spot on like Advantage Multi or Stronghold/Revolution. These are OTC at most vets and will cover for all the creepy crawlies (and fleas) in question. With mites we usually need to use these twice 2 weeks apart to kill off all life stages. As well, further to your topical treatment, we can consider putting them on an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. This will help with allergies but also reduce itchiness from the other concerns. And as long as they settle we are happy. Though if there signs are severe, they are making their skin raw, or it persists, then we'd want the local vet to assess them and take a skin scrape sample to check for mites/lice and which type is present as some resistant species can require dips to clear them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**