Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How fast do probiitics work once given? Will symptoms get…

Customer Question
How fast do probiitics work...
How fast do probiitics work once given? Will symptoms get worse before they get better
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

In regards ***** ***** question, if Jax only has an upset in his good gut bacteria, then probiotics will usually help within a few weeks as it repopulates the GI. However, if there is something else ongoing (ie parasites, bacterial infection, IBD, etc) then it may not improve the signs (though it should not get worse first). So, if he isn't responding and especially if he is worsening that suggests there is more ongoing and a check up or stool sample may need to be considered if not already done. Else assuming he has diarrhea, I'd note it can help to feed a light diet that is easy for the gut to digest. Examples include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) can also be added to this as a natural and gentle means of firming stool as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**