Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate several pieces of chocolate. What should I do?

My dog ate several...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Cookie, miniature poodle, 17 years old

4/1/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Cookie eating chocolate.

How long ago did this happen?

How much does she weigh?

Can you estimate in grams or ounces how much chocolate she got? Chocolate is toxic to dogs, but it depends on how much or what kind they ate. Milk chocolate is not as toxic as dark chocolate.

She is about 12 lbs. We left the house around 12:30 and just returned when we realized she had eaten the chocolate from the Easter basket. She ate 5 small egg of Ferrero Rocher, one mini musketeer, one mini snicker, one mini twix, and 4 mini rolos, I think all but the Ferrero Rocher are milk chocolate

That is a lot of chocolate for a small dog. How long ago was that in your time zone? If it was more than 2 hours, it is too late to induce vomiting.

Unfortunately it could have been anything between 1 and 5 hours
Not sure since we were not home
What should I do?
We just weighted and it seems she ate 100 g of chocolate

Give me a moment to calculate 100g chocolate for a 12 pound dog. Was it mostly milk chocolate?

So that is enough milk chocolate to potentially cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, even seizures.

If it might have been less than 2 hours ago, you can try to get her to vomit. Put 1/2 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream and get her to drink it; do not give it directly.

If she vomits a bunch of chocolaty looking vomit, then she should be OK. If she does not vomit the chocolate, she may need medical attention. An emergency veterinarian giving her activated charcoal will help prevent her from absorbing the chocolate into her system. If she starts to tremor or seizure, she will need medical attention.

Bear in mind that part of those candies contain sugar, caramel, etc. so she may not have gotten 100 g of pure chocolate.

Are you there? Is this helpful; are you trying to get her to vomit?

I’m here
Just reading the info
I will try the peroxide now

Let me know what happens. The peroxide has to be 3% and has to be fresh and in date.

She drank the milk
Well at least some of it
How long will it take for her to throw up?

It should take about 5 to 10 minutes. If she did not get all the peroxide, if she got less than 1/2 tsp you may have to repeat it.

Ok we will give it to her again.

If this does not work, then you could try an emergency clinic where they can use prescription medication to induce vomiting, as well as give the activated charcoal.

If you don't go to emergency, just monitor her. Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors. If she has tremors, get to a veterinarian as soon as you can.

If a lot of the candy was not actual chocolate, she may not have gotten that big of a dose.

Please let me know how she is doing, if this was helpful and if you have other questions.

At the moment her bahavior is normal
We can’t get her to drink all the peroxide

That is good news; maybe she did not get enough to affect her.

The only other way I know to get a dog to vomit is to give apomorphine, a prescription drug.

Giving the peroxide directly runs a risk of aspiration, and aspirating peroxide can be serious.

She is drinking some more now
Can we give the peroxide with canned dog food?

Yes, anything to get her to drink it

She vomited just the milk
We will try the food

So then it is working, and the chocolate may be out of her stomach, if she only vomited milk.

If she ate it more than 2 hours ago, it is too late to get her to vomit the chocolate.

Is it okay to get her to vomit again?

It may not help, if she did vomit but no chocolate. How much total peroxide has she gotten? Too much can irritate the stomach lining and cause bleeding.

How is she doing?

She didn’t vomit again even after giving her the food. What should I do? Just watch her or take her to the emergency room?
She got maybe a teaspoon all together

It seems she got the chocolate long enough ago, that it is no longer in her stomach. If she got 1 tsp of peroxide, I would not give any more. Since she did vomit, and there was no chocolate, it probably has passed through her stomach.

If she got the chocolate hours ago and is not showing any symptoms, she may not have eaten enough to cause illness.

If you are worried, take her to emergency for activated charcoal. Otherwise, monitor her and if she starts to have tremors I then would take her.

Ok. How much time usually it takes for symptoms to show?

Usually within a few hours you see vomiting.

If you are worried, I would have her checked at an emergency clinic.

Even if she doesn’t have any symptoms?

Symptoms may still develop, since we don't know when she got it.

Definitely take her if she starts to show symptoms.

Let me know how she is doing, if this was helpful, and what other questions you have.

Ok. How much time do symptoms typically take to show?

It depends on how much and what kind of chocolate were eaten; usually in a few hours.

Ok, she is doing fine right now

That is good news. Maybe she did not get enough to make her sick.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website so that I am compensated for my answer. You can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Ok. Thank you
How do I rate you?

You are welcome! Please let me know how she is doing.

You should see smiley face, or stars, or Rate Our Conversation to rate me.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
We are debating if we should take her to the emergency vet or not?
Is it ok to let her sleep?

It is OK to let her sleep. Thank you for the great rating.

Only you can decide if you want to go to emergency. The longer she goes acting normal, the less chance the chocolate will make her sick.

She is acting pretty fine. Thank you

That is great news. You are welcome. Keep me posted.

Do you think she is poisened?
Can she eat anything?

She can eat, if she is not vomiting. So far it does not sound like she was poisoned.