Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has had an itchy skin problem we were treating with

Customer Question
He has had an...

He has had an itchy skin problem we were treating with medicated shampoo but he's not had the treatment in a few weeks (I was away) and I got back to see he'd itched his leg raw in a patch and its very irritated. I will take him to the vet tomorrow, but what can I do in the meantime to keep him from going at it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Itching to the point his fur is coming off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

On his back leg, he's been gnawing at it due to the itch

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Rebel. Age 9. Golden Doodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rebel?

He has skin tags, but that's not been alarming our vet. He has had this itchy skin about a month, we treated it with medicated shampoo but its back and quite terrible for him.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Rebel.

If he has caused himself an ulcerative/raw lesion, for the moment we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar or a light bandage on your wee one to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And hopefully with these we can just keep Rebel comfortable until his vet can dispense further treatment for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**