Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a chihuahua and his name is Romeo. He woke up this

Customer Question

My dog is a chihuahua and his name is Romeo. He woke up this morning wanting to go outside. He pooped three times this morning and now he is crying from a belly ache.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Romeo?
Customer: He has a belly ache and he won't allow me to touch his belly.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?
Customer: He never had this before
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Were the stools loose, hard, or normal?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Some bad Chinese food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Poor Romeo!

If he had human food and especially if it was off, that could certainly cause him a gastritis or pancreatitis here. Both of which could cause belly ache and discomfort. With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we can plan to put him on small meals of a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and will help with pancreatitis too. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. However, if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and treat with with gut safe pain relief, injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**