Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 30 lb Scottish terrier ingested 6 azo 97.5 mg pills? Best…

Customer Question
My 30 lb Scottish...

My 30 lb Scottish terrier ingested 6 azo 97.5 mg pills? Best estimate is he ate them within the last 2 hrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Scottish Terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Scottish Terrier's name and age?

Hamish - 7 yo

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Hi there, I’m Dr. Sarah and am here to help!
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hamish is alert and acting normal.
I would recommend you induce vomiting as this drug can be dangerous to dogs. Either take to an ER to induce, or you can give 1 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide.
If no vomit in 10 minutes you can repeat once.
Let me know if he vomits. This drug can cause a blood disorder and is toxic to the liver.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
How do you suggest I dose him with HP? I do not have a syringe
Do you have a large dropper or turkey baster?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No. No blaster or dropper
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It’s been 2 to 3 hours since he ate it.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is there still time to get it out of him?
I’d still try. You could try pouring in the side of his mouth. If this doesn’t work then I’d take to an ER to induce.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Leaving for the Er now.
Three hours is a little long, but it’s suggested to induce at 2 hours.
Ok, let me know how it goes. Take the box if you have it.

How's Hamish this morning?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is acting normal - for the most part. Maybe a little slower. He had one liver enzyme that was high. But, that is not unusual for the breed. The hospital gave him 50cc of fluid under his skin. It appears to have been absorbed. He is drinking and urinating. We are “watchful waiting” and giving him denamarin for 10 days.
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

Oh good, I'm glad to hear this. Keep me updated!

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian