Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can omeprazole cause loose stools in dog?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I give it to him at night to help his reflux.
I've also started probiotics (1 week ago) but stools are mushy off and on.

Typically I would say it is highly unlikely but I have a personal dog that gets gi upset from omeprazole and have had to use pepcid (famotidine) instead so in general no but it can occur in rare instances

Please take a few precautions if you are noting loose stools:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the omeprazole pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If the intermittently loose stools continue please consider a fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing else going on that requires more urgent therapy

He acts 100% normal. He was on royal canin gastrointestinal for 10days. Had same stool
I've heard that probiitics can cause loose stools
He had xrays and blood work. All normal

Unfortunately anything administered can cause loose stools with individual patients and it sounds like this was already an issue before starting the probiotic and prilosec. If there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial, which is very different than the gi diet. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

3.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am going to be exiting for a lunch break unless I can assist any further today? I will check in this afternoon to see if you have responded with further questions