Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has weakness in her back legs, and she startles whenever…

Customer Question
She has weakness in...

She has weakness in her back legs, and she startles whenever I reach my hand towards her. She seems very weak in general and can barely keep her eyes open. She was not interested in her food, even after I put some cheese on it. She seems a bit constipated, too. She had a bowel movement this morning, but it was smaller than usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Vixen - age 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Vixen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vixen?

No. She's been perfectly healthy until now

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I just fed her a bowl full of rice and chicken and she ate the whole thing, but I had to bring it to her (she would normally be in the kitchen as soon as she heard me pull the chicken out of the fridge). As soon as she was finished, she went right back to sleep, like it was too much effort.
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 23 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She’s doing ok. I got her to drink a little water. She’s still very lethargic, and her back right leg seems to be bothering her. She sways when she’s standing, like she is woozy.I decided to skip the emergency vet and just keep a close eye on her.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Is there anything I should be giving her?
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 22 days ago

Will you please attach video of what you’re seeing? I'd like to help determine why she's weak in her back legs, is startling and also having difficulty keeping her eyes open.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She is now back to her normal self - eyes are bright and no longer red...she ate another bowl of chicken, rice and pumpkin and then some dog food, too....she drank half a bowl of water...she's been moving around more and even wanted to go on a short walk, where she had a normal bowel movement. I'm thinking it was some type of quick flu or that she ate something bad and it's now out of her system.

It's possible that she consumed something that made her sick. Typically with viral (GI-related) bugs, we see 3-5 days of illness. Keep me posted on your progress. If she worsens, I'd like to see what you're seeing at home via video. Good luck.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian