Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a toy poodle that we along with my vet thinks he has…

Customer Question
I have a toy...

I have a toy poodle that we along with my vet thinks he has OCD or CD. He is eight years old and his behavior is getting worse. What can we do to help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the poodle?

OCD getting worse with age. He growls when we pet him, or give him a good rub. He use to love getting a rub. He is so jealous of my husband or our grown children or grandchildren when they get close to me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the poodle seem to hurt?

However, he is very friendly to people & especially kids when we go for our walks. He loves kids, people, our kids and grandchildren as lobe as they ke there distance from me,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

What do you mean?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the poodle eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the poodle having trouble peeing or pooing?

No bodily function is fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the poodle behaving differently?

He acts like he’s a different like he had switched personalities — one second

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

He's fine the next he's growling biteing at his back leg. Turning in circles. He scares my children and grandchildren

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?

CHAPPY.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I received an email It was a bunch of crap. Please try again ***@******.***. (###) ###-#### Also send me an e mail address for just answer that really works.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 21 days ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35_ years and woyld like to assist you.

Has your Vet discussed any medications to try for this behavior?

Has your dog had any training?

Joan

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Just a calming collar did not work . Yes Chappy has had tow months of traing one monrh after he was 9 months another refresher course when he was a year. He’s
friendly well behaved around other people, kids etc. Never bitten anybody.

If the Chappy is indeed OCD, you may have to speak with your Vet about a medication like Fluoxetine which is an anti anxiety medication and very effective on the OCD as well as the aggression Chappy is showing at home.

With OCD, the calming collars and calming chews just do not seem to control the episodes. I myself had to put my dog on it when my new Granddaughter arrived.

OCD is Obscessive Compulsive Disorder and is a result of a seratonin imbalance in the brain and compounded with an anxiety issue.

I would speak with the Vet about the Fluoxetine and see if it seems to resolve the aggression and anxiety. It has worked wonders with my girl and the baby is no 15 months and plays with the dog with no problems.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 18 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 15 days ago

I want to check in with you and see if you spoke with your Vet about the Medication I mention for Anxiety and to see how your Poodle is doing.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech