Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our younger dog although the bigger of the two ATTACKS HER…

Customer Question
Our younger dog although...

Our younger dog although the bigger of the two ATTACKS HER WHEN SHE GETS ATTENTION FROM us

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is jealous of the other dog attention

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

When we have company and they give the saller dog attention

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Not really they are smaller dogs so we just pick up the larger dog when she attacks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

She doesn't have issues only when company pay attention to yhe smaller dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

The smaller dog is under two years of age and the larger dog is just one years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Susie

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 24 days ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is Susie the younger dog?

Are both dogs spayed?

Can you give me their ages in months?

have you had both since they were puppies?

Has either dog had any obedience training?

I'm going to be leaving in a little while and wanted you to have an answer. Dogs have a hierarchy and usually the older more experienced adult dog in a household when a pup is introduced is the boss. However, the top dog is usually the biggest most dominant dog. Of course a smaller dominant dog would be boss over a less dominant larger dog. I have a little 7 pound chihuahua that rules over the male rotties in the household.

The behavior is likely happening because the younger larger dog is a dominant dog and being larger feels he is the best choice for the top dog of the house. As the top dog, he expects to get attention first, fed first, come in and out first and get treats first. If someone treats him differently he will feel the need to reprimand and since he can not reprimand the humans, he takes it out on the dog getting attention. This is common behavior in dogs especially if they have not had obedience training.

You can help the situation by treating the younger dog as the top dog. Always feed the larger dog first and show him attention first and have guests do the same. After he has had lots of attention, then pay attention to the smaller dog. Obedience train both dogs. This is important because as he gets older, he is liable to start trying to control you with growls and nips as well. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

I also suggest you learn body language so you will have some advance warning as to how each dog is feeling and can stop attacks before they happen. The following sites are great for that purpose.

Https://apdt.com/pet-owners/dog-park/body-language/

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html

http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/dogbodylanguage

Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner