Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sleepy, doesn’t want to eat, very sneezy (he had allergies…

Customer Question
Sleepy, doesn’t want to...

Sleepy, doesn’t want to eat, very sneezy (he had allergies last fall, but is only 13 months so unsure of what he’s like in the spring), shaking/shivering, gassy/not pooping as much

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Copper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Copper?

No visible signs of injury, belly doesn’t feel very bloated, gums are still pink/light pink. We started to switch his food two weeks ago but he had a bad reaction so we reverted back to his normal food. Hasn’t eaten anything out of the ordinary in the last 48 hours, except for a single treat someone gave him at the dog park on Friday.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Started yesterday. No nasal discharge. Breathing rate 12/pm

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see he has a nice normal breathing rate there. Though given his signs, I suspect the sneezing is causing nasal congestion +/- he may have upper airway inflammation (which includes the throat) that is making him less than keen to eat for us. Of course, if he eats less he will have less to pass as stool. And that shaking will either reflect that this is making him feel quite unwell or he has a bit of fever.

With this all in mind, we can try some supportive care for Copper. First, to reduce congestion and irritation in the nasal passage, we can start with steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer for this.

Furthermore, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

If congestion is putting him off food, try offering smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him smell it. Or if we need to push him to eat, we can give watered down puppy canned food via syringe.

Finally if he is allergy prone, we could also try a low dose of an OTC antihistamine, Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications.

Overall, this does sound highly suspicious of an upper respiratory based infection. Therefore, you can try the above to help give him some relief. Of course, if these signs linger or are severe, then we'd want the local vet involved. They can confirm our concerns and dispense dog safe decongestants (since human ones are toxic) +/- antibiotics to help us nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.