Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 lb just ate a lattes exam glove What do I do

Customer Question
My 12 lb just ate...
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

Do you mean a latex glove?

Did she eat it whole or tear it up first?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Five minutes ago
Non powdered surgical glove
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He got into the trash
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello??!

Hi again,

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. If he ate this whole, then I'd be concerned he cannot pass this. Now it will take me a moment to finish typing so please be a wee bit patient.

Dr. B.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate I had quite a bit more than you did to type.

Anyway, in this situation, we do have a few options. Since his swallowing this occurred so recently, we can choose to induce vomiting (giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound of his weight) to try to bring it back up out of the stomach or we could have him to his vet for scoping (where they use their endoscope to remove this from the stomach and bring it out via the throat). And that would be our best option to avoid trying to get this through the GI.

Otherwise, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed him small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on Paulie. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage, we can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. Though if you choose not to get him to bring this up, then we need to keep monitor and if we see any of those other signs, then we'd want him examined +/- x-rayed to assess if we have any risk here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think making him vomit is the best option?

Yes, in this case, that would be best.

Dr. B.

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll be back shortlyI may have more questions going to try and make him vomit

That is fine, though any struggles and we may be best to have the local vet scope it out of the stomach.

Dr. B.

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He didn’t vomit after giving it to him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long do we wait before we do it again

You can try it up to 3x 15 min apart. If we cannot get it up that way, we'd need the local vet to use Apomorphine or scope it out.

Dr. B.

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dog threw it upThanks

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is great news! :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian