Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had diarrhea for 36 hours? It is yellow last

Customer Question

My dog has had diarrhea for 36 hours? It is yellow last poop! Plus, he just vomited yellow !
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Idk! I was thinking she might of while I was gone! Everyhing is up but my teenage son was here! She EB and almost 6 years old!
JA: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Kobi and 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kobi?
Customer: no! She has allergies!! I am wondering if she ate some of my son’s Mac n cheese ! He has aspbergers ! Or tumeric? It looks like both! She is healthy for a bulldog! She has a bad red spot! I have been giving her Claritin and Benadryl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She keeps it down! I think my mystery is found! I examined the vomit and it looks like Mac n Cheese! I have a teenager who might of fed her box Mac n cheese with milk ! The macaroni isn’t digesting very well either! It was on Good Friday while I was at church!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! I am waiting!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Oh dear,

Well if she did get into his mac n cheese that explains the color and we may have a gastritis or pancreatitis from that. Anyway at this point she sounds to need a bit of symptomatic care there. At home, we do have a few options for Kobi. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Finally, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns but usually these will be short term upsets. So, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. Of course, if her signs persists over 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet to assess her and start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**