Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog doesn't seem to be able to get up and walk. She's a…

Customer Question
My dog doesn't seem...

My dog doesn't seem to be able to get up and walk. She's a mini pom. Her belly seems to be a little swollen as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about G?

This is abnormal behaviour

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
She just went to go pee on her pad and actually sat down and peed rather than squatting
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 19 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is she having difficulty getting her legs under her to walk?

When placed in a standing position, is she able to walk without issue?

Can you describe her gait? Does it appear wobbly?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
She just wants to lay down right away if I put her down
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
She can take a couple steps but doesn't want to go far. She's normally very playful

I do think it would be wise for your companion to see a veterinarian today. If you need help finding one, please let me know. I'll need your location.

As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disc disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back, though we can also see the onset of difficulty walking without pain at all. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

I would urge you to schedule a veterinary visit at this time with diagnostics. Your vet will likely recommend diagnostics such as x-ray, myelogram, CT or MRI. They will likely also place her on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as pain meds for good measure. Strict kennel rest will continue for a few days to a few weeks based on her condition and if it worsens they may recommend more diagnostics or referral to a specialist.

If you have to wait, the best approach is going to be strict kennel rest with no risk of jumping or falling. She can be taken outside to potty (or to her potty pad) but should be lifted gently placed gently into the grass (or on to the pad). If she is not on any pain medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 18 days ago

Checking in. How is G doing today? Do you have any additional questions I can address for you?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 15 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse