Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pit just ate a bottle of Advil. What do I do. His name is…

Customer Question
My pit bull just...

My pit bull just ate a bottle of Advil. What do I do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he just turned one years old. He weighs about 70 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Otto?

He’s one year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Otto?

No that’s all just need to know what to do. We’re trying to get him to throw up

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How many do you think he had? More than one tablet?

Did he eat the bottle as well?

Not even a full hour ago and I’m going to say yes he did eat the whole bottle. It was a 20 tablet bottle so about 16 Advil give or take

Oh dear,

Now the problem here is how toxic Advil can be for dogs. One tablet could cause vomiting, diarrhea and a bleeding stomach ulcer. But more than one could cause these as well as perforate the stomach, damage the kidneys +/- liver. So, we need to be proactive for Otto.

Given our time frame, we have a few options. First, we can induce vomiting, To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, to offset nausea and try to protect the stomach, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall this is very serious for Otto. So, we need to use the above now. Any struggles and we'd want him seen for the above + fluids to avoid long term severe harm. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Ok he’s starting to throw up now. After 7 ounces do far should i continue to give him more table spoons. How do we know it’s all out ?

Hi again,

That is the difficulty since we cannot see into the stomach. Let him bring up all he will just now and if its not just clear froth by the end, then induce again but it would be best to also follow up with activated charcoal to bind anything we cannot get him to be safe.

Dr.B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Ok. We will try the charcoal. But he should start throwing up clear fluid eventually right

Hi again,

If we can get all the tablet material out, then usually it will go clear but the charcoal will be our safeguard in case any don't come up.

Dr.B.

**************************

He’s still hasn’t thrown up clear we are taking him to the vet now.

I think that is safest given how much he has had.

Best wishes,

Dr.B.

**************************