Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Since yesterday my 10 year old Cocker Spaniel, Kizzy, are

Customer Question

Since yesterday my 10 year old Cocker Spaniel, Kizzy, are restless, walks up and down, seems confused at times and have laboured breathing all the time as if she did run around. She wants to be near me or my mother but don't settle down. Dringking bits of water and did pe . She will come and lie with me fot 3 min but get up and walk around and don't want to lie down. Did give her a Karsivan 50 mg tablet this morning but don't help. Please advice me what else to do.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Kizzy. How old is Kizzy?
Customer: 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kizzy?
Customer: Get ear problems from time to time. Only eats choice dog bescuits . Gums pienk. Eyes look cloudy and I know she's got cataracts in eyes. Did have a op 2 years ago to remove gland in anus that were blocked. Otherwise happy, spoiled and loved. My only child.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seems confused, walking up & down, can’t come to rest, wants to be close to me as if unsure, but not cuddled.
She was like this ystday too, but was fine towards the eve & slept well. Fine again this morning & by afternoon the panting, confusion & restlessness has settled in again. Seems anxious.
She has had this 2x before - but got over it in a day. Hasn’t happened in a long time, but this time it does seem to be going on longer. Her eyes also seem far away... if that makes sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she’s very restless - moving around all the time, can’t come to a stand still - defs not lethargic.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Kizzy. I am worried about the labored breathing, which can be a sign of heart or lung disease, or blood clots in the lungs.

If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Is she able to breathe with her mouth closed or does she have to open her mouth to breathe?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
pink
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Good they are pink.

Panting and restlessness can also be a sign of pain.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
panting breathing - mouth open
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tongue out
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am worried this could be serious. If I could, I would want to listen to her with a stethoscope, take her temperature, feel her lymph nodes. Can you get her to a veterinarian today?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she’s not moaning or indicating there’s pain. jumping up & down the bed ok. More confusion it seems.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks. how do I cancel this service?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Moaning is not how dogs tell us they are painful. Panting and restlessness are signs of pain in dogs.

I am worried that this might be a breathing problem, and that she may not be getting enough circulation to her brain which can cause confusion.

This may be confusion, but I would need to examine her to be sure it is not a physical illness.

Is she eating and drinking?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

You are welcome.

I only answer questions for the website. If you need customer service, please use the drop down menu.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.