Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is eating a lot of grass lately. Jerky and he is 6.

Customer Question
My dog is eating...

My dog is eating a lot of grass lately

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Jerky and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerky?

He was having a problem pooping but when I change back to the food he likes he doesn’t have that issue anymore

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

He has had these signs for a little over a week. He did have a small pork chop bone 2 weeks ago and he has been gagging. His gums are pink, no belly tenderness .

Hello again,

Now given his signs, they are suggestive of low grade nausea even without active vomiting. This can be triggered by brewing gut infections, pancreatitis, or secondary to something he has eaten (which bones that can be difficult to pass can be a concern).

With this all in mind, since he hasn't those urgent signs, we can try some home supportive care. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and can help with pancreatitis as well. Furthermore, since we have this bone concern for Jerky you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut if it is playing a role here.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can him for those above concerns, and potentially start him on injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Great care, did what the dr suggested and Jerky is back to himself now.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that he is feeling better. :)

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

************

After our conversation, please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) else I am not credited by the site for my work on the holidays. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**