Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had a seizure the other day, first time ever, he is 11…

Customer Question
Hi he had a...

Hi he had a seizure the other day, first time ever, he is 11 year old ebt. just finishing antibiotics for an absess on his gum. he has pale gums eyes and ears, which are normally pink, not drinking much, and depressed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Spinks, he will be 11 in sept

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Spinks?

10.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spinks?

They detected a slight heart murmer years ago, but our vet was never worried about it

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long did the seizure last? Any head tilt, tremors, or weakness since?

What antibiotic is he on?

Are his gums much paler then usual? Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
seizure lasted about 30 seconds, antibiotic clavaseptin . he has no energy and he is extremely pale in gums ears eyes

Hello again,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Spinks. It doesn't sound like an intense seizure and the antibiotic he is on is a very safe one. So, I do feel either of those are major players in his current signs. Instead what is most worrisome is the paling of his gums especially. Pale gums in dogs usually is a sign of heart issues, lung issues, anemia, or a bleed. And if he has just been seen a recent gum abscess, I'd hope his vet would have checked his heart and lungs --so those would be less of a worry. But that means a bleed (ie stomach ulcer, trauma, spleen or internal tumor bleed) would be a worry. As well, gut blockage can affect circulation too but at his age I'd hope he'd be wise enough not to be eating harmful items. And I'd just add that if he has sudden dramatic blood loss, that could actually trigger a seizure. So, his signs are vague but really are worrisome. Therefore, if Spinks were my patient, I'd seem him now to assess that paleness, look for a bleed or anemia and make sure we head off any thing here.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
thank you, ***** ***** is gurgling loudly too . I shall take him back in the morning thank you

Hi again,

The gurgling likely is from a but of stomach upset, but that again isn't a major worry. To address it, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled until his vet can see him for those pale gums.

Dr. B.

**************************

You are very welcome, my dear.

I agree that he is a bit paler then we'd like but not white. So, do keep an eye he doesn't get any paler as you monitor.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian