Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have just discovered that our small dog (7kg) and

Customer Question
Hi there. we...

Hi there. we have just discovered that our small dog (7kg) and friend's dog (11kg) have between them eaten about 1/5 of a small white Lindt chocolate bunny. do we need to do anything at this stage.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Millie 1.5 years and SHumba 1.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?

Millie is the smaller and I don't know which of them had the chocolate and a small amount of wrapper foil too ok, are you in Brisbane??

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Good news! White chocolate actually doesn't have the chocolate toxin (theobromine) we worry about in dogs. So, while this could cause your wee ones a bit of upset stomach, it will do no serious harm. Therefore, we don't need to intervene in this case, and we can just take some steps to push any bits of foil safely through their GI's To do that, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- OTC cat hair ball paste can be added to these meals to just help the foil slip through without bother. But again the fact it was white chocolate works in our favor and this would not be a worry for Millie nor Shumba.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**