Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our papillon is bowing down several times & crying. She did…

Customer Question
Our papillon is bowing down...
Our papillon is bowing down several times & crying. She did not sleep last night. When she bows down , she licks her front legs. It appears she is in pain. She will play with her toy & then quits. Then again as if she is in pain again.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been like this?

Do you mean she puts her front half of the body low with her bottom higher?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Started late last night. Around midnight. None of the gagging are anything like that. However, when bowing with her rear up, she would lick her front legs. Rubbing her belly seams to comfort her. She has stopped now, does not appear to be hurting anymore & resting

Hello again,

Now I am quite concerned about Bridget but its good she has settled.

Now we do need to keep a close eye since her posture suggests she is taking a prayer position which is a sign of abdominal pain in dogs. So, we'd be worried about a possible pancreatitis, stomach ulcer, severe gastritis, or possible foreign body. And I'd just note that we'd still be wary of these at the moment since her resting may just be that her buprinex has kicked in.

So, we do want her to continue on that but as we do, we need to keep a close eye. Any chance of a foreign body or paling of her gums and we'd want her seen right away. Otherwise, as we monitor, it'd be worthwhile to put her on an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),)] even if she isn't vomiting. The aim is it will reduce nausea if present but also will reduce stomach acid if we have a stomach ulcer. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and will help with pancreatitis. Smalll frequent meals are advised as those will just keep the stomach from being empty if we have an ulcer.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, its good she has had the buprinex and we do want to keep up on that. But we need to monitor her closely here and any of those urgent signs I asked about or if she isn't 100% once she is up from her rest, we'd want her seen so she can be checked for the above. That way her vet can assess her but get her on to gastroprotectants, further pain relief, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian