Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started coughing, then yelped and collapsed.

Customer Question
My dog started coughing...

My dog started coughing, then yelped and collapsed. Initially couldn't get up. So I picked him up and put him on the bed to rest. After 10 mins he was walking but now is limping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?

Monty Male Tibetan terrier Age 7

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Eli, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian

Hi, sorry Monty is having this problem.

Many times if a dog coughs and then yelps, it means pain involving the neck and specifically the disc in the cervical area. A disc can be bulging and put pressure on the spinal cord which causes pain and sometimes can cause lameness in one of his legs. This can be serious and sometimes can cause paralysis, I recommend taking him to your veterinarian for an evaluation which may include xrays.

Thank you for the question, I hope this jnformation helps.

Eli Williams, DVM

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Eli, Veterinarian replied 20 days ago

Good morning,

I hope Monty is feeling better today and that my answer provided you some information about possible causes of his problem. Could you please rate my answer.

Thank you

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian