Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Thank you. I have a 9year old dachshund. And he's not acting…

Customer Question
Hi and thank you...

Hi and thank you. I have a 9year old dachshund. And he's not acting like himself. He loves going out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Louie is a 9 year old dachshund. Weighs about 21 pounds. His appetite is good. But since yesterday when I put him out on his lead hes not even outside for 5 minutes and he's whimpering at the door to come back in. He loves being out. And he wouldn't leave my side in the house. Which is weird. He has no problem jumping up on couch and laying with me but his actions are worrying me. He had a little runny nose the other day but that was for the day. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Well he's been taking my slippers and moccasins and hiding them under the couch. Which has been weird. But when he's outside and wants to come in. He barks at the back door. Never cried. He's had back problems in the past but he is not acting like it's that at all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
His barking is still the same when someone comes to the house. Or if he hears a noise outside. But he's never been so clingy. I mean hes my little shadow... But it's not the same. It was like he was scared of something. And he's never scared of anything or anyone.
I'd love to call but family is sleeping and I don't want to wake anyone... BTW. Happy Easter.... Also. It's April fool's day... Which I hate.. when I was10 my Chihuahua/min.pincher died. I'll never forget that day... And now my Louie is not himself
I want to thank you for your advices. As he's my baby. Oh yeah one more thing. I took in my neighbors dog in September... My neighbor had a massive heart attack and died. Louie and scudder we're always friends. And yesterday was the first time Louie did not mind scudder being on the couch with me...
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you and Louie today.

Is Louie limping at at all?

Is he able to walk upand down stairs and jump?

Any nausea, tension in his stomach or tenderness in the abdomen?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Is he passing normal urine and stool?

What color are his gums ? Pink red ?

Any sign of a temperature? You can take it recally and let me know.

Joan