Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a severe pressure wound and feces soaked through her…

Customer Question
She has a severe...

She has a severe pressure wound and feces soaked through her dressing. I cleaned with saline can I clean it with peroxide that’s all I really have

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

Nothing is open because of Easter. She is taking cephalon orally

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jazzy she’s almost 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

cephalexin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cephalexin?

Should I put peroxide on wound

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you. We can use 3% hydrogen peroxide to clean this or the mild antiseptics I prefer for patients (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water) could also be used. And if we have open wounds, plan to flush this 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to just further try to reduce the bacterial contamination here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian