Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m asking on behalf of my son their dog is about ten years…

Customer Question
I’m asking on behalf...

I’m asking on behalf of my son their dog is about ten years old and cannot pass a stool is there anything they can give him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jaffa about 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jaffa?

He won’t come in from garden he keeps squatting like he wants to go he’s panting and bringing up the water he’s drank

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Aww, poor Jaffa! Although I can't rule out constipation, it is much more likely for him to have colitis which is an inflammation of the colon. It causes dogs to strain often with not much stool production, and sometimes small amounts of diarrhea with blood or mucous. He might have eaten something that didn't sit right, have a virus, or have a parasite.

I'd recommend some bland diet (boiled chicken/hamburger and rice) for a few days...that's usually enough to fix mild GI upset. You could also sprinkle some Metamucil on his food...this helps with both diarrhea and constipation.

If it's not improving, then definitely see your vet and take a stool sample with you.

Hope he feels better soon!

Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; I am not compensated for my time otherwise. You can always follow up with questions after rating.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 20 days ago

How's Jaffa this morning?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian