Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a mini Yorkshire terrier that has unfortunately

Customer Question
gotten pregnant again. She gets...
I have a mini Yorkshire terrier that has unfortunately gotten pregnant again. She gets very low on calcium any 3-4 days after puppies are born and ends up in this er. They make her well and for the rest of the time she nurses I have to give her tums and cream cheese. Can I start her on this as soon as puppies are born to prevent going to the hospital?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your little one. In all honesty, starting the calcium supplementation for her as soon as she gives birth is a very reasonable thing to do! It can help her body to hopefully keep up with the calcium that she's losing into the milk for the little ones. What you can also do to help reduce the chance of her becoming low on her calcium is to try and nurse the pups some. If you are supplementing the milk mom is feeding them, that reduces some of what she's needing to produce for them. Could she have a smaller litter and not have as much stress on her body with milk production? That may be possible too.