Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am afraid my husband has dropped one of his heart meds and…

Customer Question
I am afraid my...

I am afraid my husband has dropped one of his heart meds and out dog has eaten it. He has thrown up about 6 times and is chewing chunks off the dog bed. I put him in the bathroom and he was licking the tile, now he is eating grass as quickly as he can.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is about 8 pounds and was fine an hour ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. What is the name and mg of the medication that he got into? Did you see any pills in his vomit?

I have not seen any pill in the vomit and I have no idea what pill he may have found.

Ok, well without knowing what the medication was, I can't give you any specific toxicity information like what side effects you might expect, but I can give you some general information about what to look for if things are getting really serious. I would be concerned enough to take him to the emergency vet if he continues to vomit uncontrollably because he could become dehydrated. I would take him in to the emergency vet if you see any seizures or collapse as well. For the vomiting, I would start him on an antacid, Pepcid (0.25mg/lb) tonight to help with the vomiting tonight. I would feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice tomorrow morning.

Never mind
I live in the middle of no where. I would have already taken him to a hospital if there was one available at this time of night.