Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got sanitizer liquid on his eye. His eyes are super red…

Customer Question
He got sanitizer liquid...

He got sanitizer liquid on his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

His eyes are super red and can barely open it :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Macho 9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Macho

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok thanks!
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello

I am sorry to hear that Macho accidentally got liquid hand sanitizer in his eyes and is squinting, and can barely open his very red eyes.

This is very serious. Hand sanitizer has alcohol which can destroy his corneas (clear outer part of the eye), burning his eye. If the damage is severe enough it could lead to his eye rupturing or suffering such severe damage/burns that his eyes will be permanently scarred resulting in him losing vision entirely.

Ideally as soon as this occurred his eyes should have been thoroughly flushed and he should have been seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

If this just happened his eyes should be flushed with sterile saline or if you don't have that cool water, then get him to an emergency clinic.

Even if it has been a while since this happened the best thing you can do for him is to have him seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis to try to save his vision.

If there isn't an emergency clinic available flush his eyes and follow up by applying artificial tears every hour to keep his eye cushioned and hydrated until you can have him examined.
Also apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment 3 to 4 times daily to his eyes to prevent an infection.
I do recommend trying to keep him in a low light setting.

Then have him examined as soon as possible.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian