Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can vaccines like a bordetella put in my dogs nose, interact…

Customer Question
Can vaccines like a...

Can vaccines like a bordetella put in my dogs nose, interact with his Phenobarbital. He has epilepsy and and had an absentee seizure later in the day the day he got the bordetella

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is your dog's name and age?

Odie, and he is almost 6. He is rescue, and truly a Heinz 57. Had his DNA done and he has a lot of different dogs in him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Odie?

He has been aggressive for a couple years, but not the first 3 to our smaller dogs. When we finally figured out he has epilepsy we put him on phenibarbital and he hasn't attacked in 6 mos. Then on. Thursday he attacked one of the small dogs again and he had a bordetella up his nose earlier

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your guy Odie. I wouldn't place any suspicion on the intranasal vaccine being done today as it being a part of the seizure event that happened. What may have been a part of it, and it is this way for some, is the stress of the visit. I've seen some dogs get so worked up with vet visits that they can actually have break through seizures due to that extra stimulation on their nervous system. It is typically during the visit or right after it happens. If this seizure happened hours after the visit, then in all reality, that breakthrough was just one that was part of his epilepsy. Epileptics will have break through seizures as that is the way the disease happens. The anti-seizure medication with true epilepsy never eliminates all seizures. It just greatly reduces their frequency and length of seizure when they do happen.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian