Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had his rabbis shot last. Weekend today he is coughing…

Customer Question
He had his rabbis...

He had his rabbis shot last. Weekend today he is coughing lethargic and not eating . Not playful

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

His. Name is Tyler he is two years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tyler?

Two

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tyler?

The vet said he is a full breed and he's health. Was prescribed the worm meds once a month. He is not himself. He is hacking. No barking no eating. He's. Not eating or drinking

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Usually if they are going to have a reaction to a Rabies vaccine, it will be within 48 hours of getting the vaccine. The cough and the lethargy might be due to an infection or possibly due to allergies this time of year. I would recommend starting him on some Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours) to help with the cough and to help with possible allergies. I would also recommend starting him on a diet of boiled chicken, white rice, and low sodium chicken broth to help with his appetite and to help if it is a virus causing these signs. If you don't seen an improvement by Monday, I would recommend taking him to the vet for a check up to make sure there isn't more going on with him.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian