Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Same as this question, my dog just ate a fast dissolve 5mg…

Same as this question...

Same as this question, my dog just ate a fast dissolve 5mg melatonin tablet with an unknown amount of xylitol. He weighs about 64 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Remy 1

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

My dog ate a 5mg melatonin tablet containing an unknown amount of xylitol.

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. That amount of Melatonin would be non-toxic to your dog but if you want to play safe as far as the Xylitol goes then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Remy sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

2. However, even if you fail to induce vomiting the chances are that things will not be so bad, my experience is that there is not enough Xylitol in these types of meds to affect a dog of your one's weight. So it could be that you would be taking very little risk in just observing your dog for now.

3. While I don't expect it to happen expected side effects related to the Xylitol would include marked lethargy and incoordination, this is due to a sudden drop in blood sugar and can be very dangerous. Of course, take your dog to an ER vet without delay if you become concerned on this point. { This would be unlikely }

4. If no symptoms are apparent and you did not induce vomiting then you can try to keep your dog's blood sugar levels up by feeding the dog frequent meals carbohydrate-rich meals, say every three hours for the next nine hours. This may help keep your dog's blood sugar levels up while the Xylitol naturally drains from your dog's system.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Remy's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?