Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund 7 years old was bitten on the paw by my other…

Customer Question
My dachshund 7 years...

My dachshund 7 years old was bitten on the paw by my other dachshund. It bled for awhile and has now stopped. He will not put any weight on his paw and I can’t get him to stop licking. It is the night before Easter and nobody is open. What should I be doing?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is 7 Years Old bleeding a lot?

Bleeding has stopped

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is 7 Years Old?

7

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would start by soaking his paw in dilute betadine for 5 minutes to help clean the wound. After that, I would put him in an Elizabethan color to keep him from licking the wound. I would also start him on some Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours) to decrease the inflammation. I would put a shopping bag over the foot when he goes out to go to the bathroom. I would get him in to the vet first thing in the morning to get him started on antibiotics. Until then, hopefully these suggestions will help in the meantime.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 18 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian