Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund 7 years old was bitten on the paw by my other…

Customer Question
My dachshund 7 years...

My dachshund 7 years old was bitten on the paw by my other dachshund. It bled for awhile and has now stopped. He will not put any weight on his paw and I can’t get him to stop licking. It is the night before Easter and nobody is open. What should I be doing?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is 7 Years Old bleeding a lot?

Bleeding has stopped

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is 7 Years Old?

7

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would start by soaking his paw in dilute betadine for 5 minutes to help clean the wound. After that, I would put him in an Elizabethan color to keep him from licking the wound. I would also start him on some Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours) to decrease the inflammation. I would put a shopping bag over the foot when he goes out to go to the bathroom. I would get him in to the vet first thing in the morning to get him started on antibiotics. Until then, hopefully these suggestions will help in the meantime.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt