Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 pound dog (pomchi) are chocolate. I woke. She ate 1.5…

Customer Question
My 5 pound dog...

My 5 pound dog (pomchi) are chocolate

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I woke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She ate 1.5 oz of dark chocolate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ally, 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ally?

She must have ingested it between 6-10:30 am when I got up at 10:30 it was already eaten. I also fed her breakfast not realizing it. But she has been vomiting since 10:30 am. She is drinking and playing but her breathing sometimes seems off

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok please let
Me
Know. I want to know if it’s a good sign that she is vomiting and how long after ingestion she should be better

Got it, working on your answer now.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Ally very much, she may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea over the next few hours, but the chances are that this will not be too serious and she should slowly return to normal over the next 24 hours. It is not a particularly good sign that she is vomiting, all this indicates is that she has taken a very slight chocolate overdose, but it may help to get some of the chocolate out of her system. While chocolate can be quite toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate today before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Ally's weight as being in the region of 5 pounds then you can see that she would have to swallow 1.5 ounces of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. This is the exact amount she swallowed so all you might expect is very minor side effects.

I am telling you the following for your information.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ally's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
How long must I worry? Should I let her play outside if that’s what she wants?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. To be honest, the chances are you will have no real worries in this sort of situation, but most dogs will have recovered from their minor side effects within a 24 hour period after swallowing such small amounts of chocolate.

2. Just treat her as normal in the meantime, if she wants to play outside then let her, it is very encouraging if that is what she wants.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok well after 24 hours it is safe to leave her alone if she has stopped vomiting and acting normally?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Also, it’s her feeding time but she’s vomiting off and on. Do I feed her or not?

1. With the amount of chocolate she ate it should be very safe to leave her on her own after the vomiting has settled down, this is a very minor incident.

2. As she is nauseous at present it would be best not to feed her for now, just make sure she has water available as she will be thirsty, once she has settled down then put her on light feeding for the following 24 hours.

3. In the meantime, something like Pepcid could help settle her stomach, more information including dose rates via this link: LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ally is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian