Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old german shepherd is "knuckling" her back feet…

Customer Question
Hi, My 12 year...

Hi, My 12 year old german shepherd is "knuckling" her back feet when we go for walk, so much so that her toe nails bleed. Plus she is having a difficult time going up 2 stairs to join me in the kitchen. I am wondering if she has DM.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Shepherd?

Trouble with dragging her back legs and inability to go up or down two stairs without collapsing. I am wondering it if could be DM

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Shepherd seem to hurt?

She doesn't necessary "hurt"....she just collapses and her back legs bleed after a walk her toe nails in the middle of the foot are worn and bleed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Shepherd's name and age?

Thank you. Her name is ***** ***** she is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Exie?

She has hypoestrogenism from being spayed and being 12 now so she takes Proin for that.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Exie is knuckling her back feet. Unfortunately, given her breed and the signs you are describing, degenerative myelitis is likely. I recommend getting her to your vet for a neurological exam. They will also recommend running some lab work (CBC, chemistry/profile, thyroid check and urinalysis) to rule out metabolic causes of weakness, such as diabetes, and kidney or liver disease, for example.