Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was trying to trim around her bottom & I cut thru

Customer Question
I was trying to...

I was trying to trim around her bottom & I cut thru something. It felt like fatty tissue in matt of hair but it was so far away from the body I didn't think it could be tissue. It looked like a 1 inch tube and is or was bleeding. I'm sick about it & don't know what to do. I've planed on putting her down as she knows nothing, barely can hear & see. I've tried the dementia meds with no help. But that's not the issue, I am hysterical for what I did to her. Her hair is a mess bcuz she couldn't tolerate grooming anymore & it was a battle to do just her face last time. It's my fault I haven't put her down yet just bcuz she has a big appetite still. I can't go & put her down today bcuz I won't take her to a cold sterile emergency clinic. I just can't deal with what I did to her, what ever I cut. I haven't looked at it again but her tail is bloody. Bcuz I was in hurry cuz she won't tolerate any of it, was maybe the tail? I just need to know what I cut & if there is anything. She had no problems, regular bowel movements so there wasn't an issue with the glands that I know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No, just old & doesn't know anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Sorry I babbled so much, I just need to know for myself what the heck I cut as my guilt is horrible.
Oh, she is a yorkie
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's accident. Is there anyway you can send me a picture of the wound?

I can try, with all the hair I don't know if you can see it. She is sleeping so I don't bother her but I will try. She had no reaction when it when or after it happened. Don't know if that's the dementia or not, as I said she doesn't know anything. She poops & pees & sleeps on it doesn't have a clue what outside is for & just sits there.. Well, I would have to wake her & stand her up so not sure about the pic

Ok, so it doesn't seem that she really noticed what happened? She didn't cry out, did she?

It was a weird thing, with the hair about the size of a quarter & it was mushy like tissue but so far extended from the body I didn't think it could be. Then after I cut, it was white tissue that looked like a cut a tube about an inch long. I'm calmer now, I was hysterical & felt so bad

I bet it was quite a shock.

What I think you may be describing is some sort of growth that secretes white discharge. I think it is the discharge you cut into.

Hold On I'm getting a picture, OMG I think I cut her tail

I will wait for the picture.

I can try better pics if you need, OMG it's big open wound

It was an accident and not something you intended to do but I know how upsetting it is. Can you get her to a vet?

I can take her to an emergency vet only & they will want to put her down & I know it has to be done, but I can't at some strange cold place. I had called before to different vets that have put down rooms for comfort as my vet doesn't.

Some vets offer home euthanasia. I would call around to different clinics and see if they can refer someone to you so she can pass at home.

I prepared myself twice before to do it & the day I needed to, I couldn't get in at a regular ve.t. Actually, because I have potty pads all over the room/rooms I'm ashamed to have even a vet in my house. She has ruined the carpet, I know there are odors, but was worth for her, I will replace after

I actually do home euthanasias myself. We know how hard it is as pets age and become incontinent. A vet that comes to your house to put her to sleep is not going to judge you. It's our job to provide comfort and a dignified death.

I guess I should consider that as i was speaking to the pet cremation place & was going to take her myself afterwards. can u tell anything in the pics if it's her tail? Could I try to wrap it with something? I was going to attempt a bath today, not a full one bcuz she refuses those anymore also, but she will sleep right on top of a dirty potty pad when there 8 more clean or dirty pads aaround her. I work during the day.
She isn't incontinent, she just doesn't know what she is suppose to do outside.

It's hard to say whether it's her tail, but it could be. If you have some Neosporin, you can put that on the area, cover with a gauze pad, and bandage closed. If it's her tail that wouldn't help with the pain, though, so I would get her some pain medication from a vet if you can't have her put to sleep today.

Oh but I'm afraid to attempt a bath. I don't know what I could wrap it with so it isn't open. Maybe I will try again MOnday for an appointment for her euthanasia. I just have to prepare myself again but would like he to be sort of clean. I feel so bad hurting her on her last days

No need for a bath right now. Do you have any hydrogen peroxide? If you pour some onto the area, it will get rid of the blood. I do not know if she's in pain, but if it's her tail, then she is and I wouldn't leave her without pain medication until a euthanasia appointment on Monday. I know the ER is not the ideal place to say goodbye, but it might the best way to go to put her out of her pain.

Neosporin, okay. In her condition would they give her pain meds? I would have to take her in to emergency vet to get the meds wouldn't I. She is worth any amount of money, but I hate to pay several hundred $$'s today & again in a few days. That sound terrible
Can they take human pain pills? I recently had some surgeries & am stocked
I didn't response b4 I my last comment. OMG, okay I have to make a decision.. Thank you, ***** ***** more of a sounding board for me as I had no one to talk to about it. thank you for your time, I'm totally loosing it now

I understand. I can't really give recommendations about human medications, though. I would call the ER and explain the situation to them, including your financial concerns. They should be willing to work with you on the price.

OK, I will do that.
Thank you, ***** ***** to go lay with her now

Good luck, please don't be too hard on yourself. You obviously love her very much.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any more questions.

No more questions for now, I'm just not prepared to do this. Thank you so much

You're welcome. Take care. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel