Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I adopted a stray puppy almost 3 weeks ago now. I took her…

Customer Question
I adopted a stray puppy...
I adopted a stray puppy almost 3 weeks ago now. I took her to my regular vet recently and it was their guess that she was about a month and half. She looks better now than what she did when I found her and she still likes to play alot. BUT..yesterday I noticed a cherry tomato size growth on her right side between the abdomen and chest are, on the side of her rib cage I guess you could say. It does not hurt her to touch it but she does seem to tire easily and quickly. My regular vet is closed until Monday but I am bothered by this and am anxious to get a medical opinion asap as I have grown to love this little dog. Please feel free to ask further questions. I am awaiting your response. Thank you.
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation. Thank you for giving this little girl a great new home! Do you think you could post a picture here with the paper clip icon of what you're seeing? A picture is worth a thousand words here.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I can but it will take several minutes

That is no problem! I'll be waiting for it.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hang on just one minute please.

Definitely will do!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok. I see it went through
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I'll be taking over for Dr. Bruce. I'll have a look at this picture and get back to you shortly.

Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago

S​orry, but I can't get a good look at this lump with this picture, as it is focused on her foot, and her chest is blurry.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you. My apologies for the delay
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago

I​s this a hard lump, or soft and spongy? Is it within the skin or under the skin?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It feels spongy. It moves. It's under the skin and muscle too it seems
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago

A​nd not uncomfortable at all for her when you feel it, right?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Right. It doesn't seem to bother her, but she has a cough every now and then
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago

G​iven what you described earlier, she most likely had roundworms at some point, and those will cause coughing in puppies. Can you check her gums for me please, lift her lip and see what color her gums are overtop of her fangs.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She just had a vet check up. she did not have worms. her gums and teeth are fine
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Never mind! You people have wasted enough of my time and I do not want to be charged! Goodbye!
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 22 days ago

O​k good. With a pup this young, the causes of a soft, non-painful lump are few. Hematoma (blood blister/bruise), granuloma, abscess and hernia would be in the top 3. The area you are describing is not an area where I'd expect to see a hernia. An abscess would be painful and hot. That leaves us with a blood blister or a granuloma, possibly from an insect bite. Neither of those are life-threatening for sure, and should resolve in 3-7 days. I was having you check her gums to make sure they weren't pale, which would imply that she might have a blood clotting problem, leading to bleeding under the skin, causing a lump like this.

Sean Egan
Sean Egan
Sean Egan