Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diagnosed last Sept with Pituitary Cushings. Meds -Vetoral…

Customer Question
Diagnosed last Sept with...

Diagnosed last Sept with Pituitary Cushings. Meds -Vetoral -seem to have been tolerated well.Today after 3 days of lethargy, vomiting once , drinking excessively and voluminous urine she was diagnosed as diabetic. Range is way over the high level. We have been told to stop Veterol until further testing comes back. Treatment for urinary tract infection. Molly is 9 years old. Aa Bichon Friese. Any suggestions as to what course to take?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Molly?

Has lost about 1 lb since January and her abdomin has softened up. It was round and firm.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Molly is having both Cushing's signs and diabetes signs. This can be tricky. I'm not sure why your vet asked you to stop the Vetoryl, but you will not be able to get the diabetes under control if the Cushing's is not under control. So I would ask them why they recommend stopping the Vetoryl, and how they plan to get the Cushing's under control. The best advice I can give for treating diabetes is to learn how to test blood glucose at home. This sounds intimidating but there are many owners out there that do this for their cats and dogs. He should start treatment with twice daily insulin injections, and your vet can show you both how to test the blood glucose, as well as insulin injections.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
can not access the stars. - 5 stars
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian