Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hip pain keeps us up crying n pain joints very stiff can’t…

Customer Question
Hip pain keeps us...

Hip pain keeps us up crying n pain joints very stiff can’t extend or bend back legs, vet put him on gabapentin , helped fir about a month but no longer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Shadow is 12

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

I'm sorry Shadow is having hip pain...that is always difficult. Gabapentin is good for nerve pain, but some other medications may work better.

1. Fish oils- over time these help decrease inflammation and can be bought over the counter.

2. Glucosamine- over time this helps lubricate joints and can be bought over the counter.

3. CBD oil- I don't really have any experience with this, but I've been told it works well and can be bought over the counter.

4. Anti-inflammatories- Shadow will probably need these regardless in the short term, then once you've been on the glucosamine and fish oils for a while you may be able to back the anti-inflammatories off. These are prescriptions you get from your vet (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Previcox, etc.)

For a big dog I'd give human doses of fish oils and glucosamine, for a medium dog half human doses.

I hope Shadow feels better soon! Let me know if I can help in any other way. Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; you can always follow up with questions after rating.

How's Shadow doing?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian