Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a perforated ear drum and is on antibiotics. She…

Customer Question
Hey, my dog had...

Hey, my dog had a perforated ear drum and is on antibiotics. She was getting better until yesterday when she started to go down hill again. She has all the neuro signs, head tilt, can’t walk etc. Now she has just had diarrhoea which had a strong smell of alcohol?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds to her feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Charlie, 12 years 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

She has just had major abdo surgery a few weeks ago, wounds all healed. She also has epi and really bad cardiomyopathy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about Charlie's ear infection. What medication did your vet put her on to treat the ear infection?

She is on augmentin and fucidin, we also have canaural eye drops but vet said to hold off as ear not healed
Ear drops even. I’m more concerned as she was coming good and now can’t stand again with head tilt etc. she is eating and drinking. However she is very lose and her poo smelt very odd almost like alcohol

So you are giving oral antibioitcs, correct? That could be the cause of the unusual smell of her stool.

I would keep up with the antibiotics, get some anti-nausea medication such as Cerenia from your vet, and make sure to keep her off couches and beds unsupervised in case she falls.

She’s been on the augmentin a week but the other she started a few days ago. That’s when she started to deteriorate again. The augmentin I have been injecting once daily as per vet

Yes, the injectable augmentin can cause bowel movements to smell different.

She has anti sickness as well, sorry forgot that. She is on her bed on the floor she can’t stand up at all now. She was like that for 2 days when it first happened. Then she was up walking etc and now back to where she was?
She seems to have gone backwards post ear check up on thurs?

It could be that the antibiotic was not the cause of the initial improvement. Did the vet do any procedure to clean out her ears?

The specialist advised putting her under GA and doing a washout but she can’t cause of her cardiomyopathy. Thursday he examined the ear and cleaned the outter ear. Should we put the ear drops in or will that make it worse as the perforated ear drum has healed??

If you know for sure that the ear drum has healed, yes, you can use the ear drops. If she does not start improving on those, I would ask your vet about another antibiotic called clindamycin, or doing an ear culture to determine what type of bacteria there is and which antibiotic will kill it.

We have done all that, she has dog mrsa ??? I’m not 100% the perforation has healed which is why I’m
Worried to put the ear drops in?

Ah okay, so you know she is being treated with the correct antibiotic. A normal ruptured ear drum heals by itself in a few days, but infection changes that to a variable degree. There is some risk of ototoxicity resulting in loss of hearing if the drops are placed without the ear drum being fully healed, so I recommend having her ear drums rechecked by your vet to find out whether or not they have healed.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Thank you ��
I have cleaned out some of the yuk from the outer ear. She is still flat. Her urine smells funny ? Like key tones ? She has wet herself 3 times a in an hour

I'm sorry to hear that Charlie is not doing well. Were you able to get her to the vet today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel