Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old black lab ate a half of tennis ball about 2…

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old black lab ate a half of tennis ball about 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure this is what is causing her to vomit today on and off all day with lethargy, not wanting to eat. She is at emergency clinic now having IV fluids. Xray showed something in her stomach that resembles a tennis ball. They want to re-Xray her in a few hours to see if it moved at all. If it has not then they said surgery is recommended. I wanted to check with someone and see if this would be the correct route to go. I don't want her to have surgery if not needed. If you would please get back to me I would appreciate it. Thank you very much. Elaine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the lab?

She is in perfect health, never been sick. If she did need surgery I am conflicted if I should let them do it or take her to a specialty animal hospital I have used before. SHe was vomiting yellow bile throughout the day.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your dog hasn't been feeling well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello
Did you read my question

I do agree with the plan to take another x-ray to see if the ball has moved. Some IV fluids while you are waiting could help it move along.

If it hasn't moved, I agree with having it removed surgically, but rest assured they will check blood work to make sure she can tolerate anesthesia. They should also give her adequate pain medication during and after surgery.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Great I will follow through with that
The vet is an orthopaedic surgeon
Does it matter what field if that is the in call surgron that gets called in

No, foreign body surgery is a pretty basic one that all surgeons should be comfortable doing.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok good
They seem very capable at the emergency clinic
I'm hoping it moves.
If it moves some can sometimes resolve on its own without surgery

Yes, sometimes they can, but in this case I really recommend IV fluids to help it along.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian