Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a small pug with hip displacia which makes her unable…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small pug with hip displacia which makes her unable to walk or move very much. Unless I am constantly rubbing or holding her, she is constantly crying or "barking" for me. I only make $562.50 per month on my SSI so I am destitute and cannot afford a vet for her. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the pug's name and age?

My pug is named Misty and she is almost 11 years old. She's still my baby and has a lot of life left in her. But, unless I am petting or holding her, she is always nagging.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Misty?

Like I said, Misty is almost 11 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?

No, I'm just worried to death about her.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Misty is hurting. The best thing for her would be to get her some pain medication from the vet, which can be pretty inexpensive. You can also buy a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement at the pharmacy and give it in her food to help lubricate her joints, which will also decrease pain. Another thing that might help her be more comfortable is to put her on a heating pad with a towel over it.

I thought about the heating pad thing but she pees (a lot) and I'm afraid for her. I do keep her on a wetting pad.

Yes, since she pees a lot it does make sense to be cautious with a heating pad. A safer option would be a rice sock. You can fill a sock with some uncooked rice, tie off the top, and put it in the microwave until it's the right temperature (warm but not too hot). You can put that under a towel for her.