Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a large mixed breed approx 65 lbs. He has had a…

Customer Question
My dog is a large...
My dog is a large mixed breed approx 65 lbs. He has had a fungal skin rash going on that is improving with over the counter washes. He is 10 years old. Today he had an episode where he sneezed and his front legs sprawled out and he couldn't stand up with them around lunch time. He has been able to walk now but he is not himself where he normally greets you and pushes you over he seems very weak and like he does not have any energy. His ears also are shaking and his body and times like he is cold
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your dog had this episode. There are a few things that older dogs can develop that can cause weakness, including diabetes, kidney disease and liver disease, hypothyroidism, and arthritis, to name a few. How has his appetite been lately? Is he drinking a lot of water?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He drinks his normal amount of water but yesterday when this happened he turned away food and isn't drinking much. I took him to an emergency vet last night and his kidney levels and liver panel are normal. He is negative for diabetes. His globulin was slightly elevated along with his wbc. He wouldn't eat for the vet and it was chicken which is not like him. He has been laying around and not really getting up much. He wouldn't eat any dog biscuits. Two days ago he was running up and down the fence. Today he isn't eating or drinking and isn't motivated to get up and he has some bleeding on his anus area, did not notice any diarrhea or vomit or bloody bowel movements.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry to hear he's doing so poorly today. His globulin being high is suspicious for cancer, and that can cause nausea that results in not wanting to eat or drink. The elevated WBC is an indicator of inflammation or infection, and can be due to bacterial or viral infection, as well as cancer. Did you vet give you an anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulant for him? I think that should be the next step. I would get an abdominal ultrasound done to check for the presence of tumors in his liver, spleen, kidneys, or intestines.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian