Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my Westie was bit by a squirrel a few weeks ago. He…

Customer Question
I think my Westie...

I think my Westie was bit by a squirrel a few weeks ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He keeps licking his inner right front paw and gets very tempermental when I try to look at it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

His front paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Pudge (12 year old West Highland White Terrier) My vet clinic is closed for the weekend.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Well...I know this is weird, but.... in early March there was a squirrel in our house!! Pudge attacked it and killed it. He yelped when trying to kill it and his paw was bleeding. Naturally, I assumed the squirrel must have bit him?

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Hi there, I’m Dr. Sarah and am here to help! Poor Pudge! Can you see a wound at all? Has he ever had foot licking or allergy issues before?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
foot licking and allergies are of course common with this breed of dog. The wound seems to be more of a cyst type that has formed.
a few possibilities are that he has a wound from the squirrel (though a few weeks is a long time for a bite wound), allergies leading to a raw foot, or some other oddball thing like a growth or broken nail or something. Let’s do some easy things that will help in general regardless of issue.
I’d give him 25mg of Benadryl three times a day for general itch and irritation.
I’d also recommend epsom salt soaks 5 minutes twice a day. Make the solution like it says on the bag. Either put some in a cup and soak the one foot, or put an inch in the bathtub and have him stand in it. This will help soothe and decrease inflammation.
If you can see a wound you can apply some triple antibiotic ointment. Rub it in well and sit with him for 10 minutes after to avoid ingestion.
He may need a cone collar for a while if he won’t leave it alone. If he’s not better by Monday you’ll need to see the vet to make sure there’s not a major issue.
I hope he feels better soon! Let me know if I can help in any other way. Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars.
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

How's Pudge doing?

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian