Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bleeding from penis. 10 month old Border Terrier. No I

Customer Question
Bleeding from penis Veterinarian's...

Bleeding from penis

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

10 month old Border Terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Border terrier?

No I believe he is in good health but just noticed some bleeding

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry that your young fellow has blood coming from his penis.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from the penis/prepuce.

We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses on the penis or prepuce or in the urinary or reproductive tract, exposure to an anticoagulant rodenticide, or clotting disorders are possible causes. Genital warts are a viral infection that is seen most commonly in young dogs and can bleed if they are traumatized.

In young male dogs there is a band of tissue called a frenulum that attaches the penis to the inside of the prepuce so it cannot be exteriorized and traumatized. Once a puppy goes through puberty that attachment should break down and dissolve, but sometimes that doesn't happen and if it tears you can see bleeding.

Are his gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then he likely hasn't lost enough blood to make him anemic and that is a good sign.

Is he bleeding only when he passes urine (is he constantly straining and dribbling urine) or does the bleeding seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is when he passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in his urinary tract, a clotting abnormality, or a mass in his urinary or reproductive tract.

If the bleeding is independent of him passing urine the concerns would be trauma to his penis, a torn frenulum, a mass in his prostate, prepuce or on his penis, exposure to an anticoagulant rodenticide, or a clotting abnormality.

You can try to gently retract his prepuce over his penis to look for a mass or cut either in his prepuce or on his penis. If you can see a mass or a cut on his penis or prepuce then a cold compress on it, followed by gently it patting dry and then applying some corn starch or flour to help form a clot may stop the bleeding. Then he should see his regular veterinarian for treatment tomorrow.

If he doesn't have a visible mass or cut and he were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of his abdomen to look at his kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of his prostate. If he had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check his clotting function too.

If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.

If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.

And I'd recommend a recheck of his urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of his bladder/kidneys is needed.

All you can do for him at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out his urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to his food or feed him canned food to encourage eating and increase his fluid intake.

Give him ice cubes. Offer him fresh water frequently.

And make sure he gets out frequently to urinate.

If he is straining but unable to pass any urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or his gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian