Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with drop jaws symtoms. As his bottom…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog was...

Hello, my dog was diagnosed with drop jaws symtoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

As his bottom jaw is not working i have been giving food and water using a large syringe. The vet took a few x-rays and said he has liquid in his lungs. He gave meZeniquin 200mg. My dog is a large Rottweiler.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Simba and 7.5 years old. His jaw seem to be better and he can now drink water on his own but he is refusing to eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simba?

No, he was very active Rottweiler and it happen very sudden. The vet mention about this symptom and I have read about it online. It said the dogs usually recover in about 2-4 weeks. It is his third week and I can see that he can keep his jaw up now. Two problems I see. One is that he is noteating and show no interest with his favorite chicken and he is breathing heavy

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Here are my question;
1. M the Vet gave Zeniquin 200mg to treat what he claimed that liquid in one of his lungs. I look at this med online and it said to treat skin and urinary track infections.
2. One of the side affect is lost appetite and he is refusing to eat.
3. Breathing pretty heavy time to time as it he is uncomfortable. Should I give him Tramadol? Should I also stop the antibiotic?
3/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I am guessing that your vet put him on antibiotics because he suspected that the fluid he saw in the lungs was due to pneumonia. I would not stop the antibiotic. It's possible that his labored breathing is due to pneumonia, and he might need a different antibiotic. You are correct that labored breathing can be due to pain, but I hesitate for you to give him tramadol until you figure out what is going on inside his chest.

Regarding the disinterest in food, that can be a side effect of the antibiotic. You can give him some Pepcid and see if that helps settle his stomach. If he is really struggling to breathe, I would get him to the ER for oxygen. If the breathing is just a little heavy, I think you can wait until the morning to get him to the vet. They might want to do another set of chest x-rays.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian