Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been having severe tremors/seizures the past few…

Customer Question
She has been having...

She has been having severe tremors/seizures the past few years. But over the past few months they have increased. She usually will sit up if sh is laying down, and crane her head up and begin licking while her right or left paw lifts up appearing to be stuck and she begins to shake. Then she has a difficulty walking a straight path for about a minute after each episode.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Jasmine , 11.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasmine?

She is a llasa Opso shih tzu mix

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jasmine. You've described well complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizure) which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these event and for just what you witnessed. Jasmine's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if she should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.