Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her right leg is lame for about a month now. Her shoulder…

Customer Question
Her right leg is...

Her right leg is lame for about a month now. Her shoulder Area hurts her. Her teeth are very bad. She has an infection in her mouth and is on antibiotics, Gallaprint and Rimydal. She eats ok but not like before. Her mouth quivers alot. Her right side of her head temple area is starting to cave in. She is quiet and not her usual playful self. We are very worried. She does drink water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She had a mini panel blood test and it came back normal.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Which breed and how old is she, please?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
10 yr. Terrier mix

Thank you. The most important clue you posted is "her right side of her head temple area is starting to cave in". This is called facial muscle wasting and when muscle wasting is restricted to the head the only differentials are trigeminal nerve abnormalities, masticatory myositis, and TMJ anomalies. Masticatory myositis is usually first noticed as a dog having difficulty opening its mouth to eat or grab toys. It usually causes a bilateral (both temples) "cave in". TMJ abnormalities are a consideration because her teeth are very bad and infection from her mouth can spread to those joints. Trigeminal nerve abnormalities should be the most important consideration because at her advanced age neoplasia (cancer) is often found to be involving that nerve. While this must necessarily be conjecture because I don't know what's been diagnosed as the cause of her right leg lameness, neoplasia involving her right leg may have metastasized to areas around the trigeminal nerve or neoplasia involving that nerve may have metastasized to her leg. Have you been given a diagnosis for her lameness? Have X-rays been performed of her leg and neck?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Her first x-ray if her leg showed nothing abnormal. However, her vet took some more x-rays today and wants to show them to me. He also took x-rays of her head. I am very concerned.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She also had a very bad habit of going into the kitty litter box and eating cat poop. Could that have anything to do with what's wrong with her

I'm pleased that those X-rays were taken. I want very much to know what was seen. No, I can't blame ingestion of cat poop. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The Vet did say that it could be something going on her nerve system and immune. We' ll most likely find something in these new x-rays.
Thank you. I will keep you posted.

I appreciate it. I'll be online this evening - I'm in the Pacific time zone - but offline over the weekend. I promise to reply as soon as I can, however.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you!

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian