Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a weepy eye. I have been washing it with a mix of…

Customer Question
Hi my dog has...

Hi my dog has a weepy eye. I have been washing it with a mix of water and very small amount of apple cider vinegar. It is looking a little better and not weeping green anymore but it still has a discharge. This morning it looked like her eye had been weeping through the night (sticky fur around her eye) She also seemed a little low on energy, not her self. I want to take her to the vet but my husband isn't working and we are a very low income family. I'm worried she could be sick but we just don't have the money to pay a vet bill? Any advice or solution would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My 2 yo kelpie has had a weepy green eye and squinting. I thought it might be conjunctivitis. I have been treating her for two days with a mix of one cup of water and2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. I have wiped her eyes three or four times a day. It seemed like it was getting better as it stopped weeping green and only weeping a little and it was white. This morning she seems low on energy, not herself and sticky around the eye but not weepy. I'm worried she might be sick. I want to take her to the vet but my husband is not working because of injury. We are both on benefits and have three kids. Money is really tight and we can't afford to pay a vet bill. What can I do, we love our dog so much? Please tell me what I can do and how I can help her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

I know her eye is itching as she is scratching it and she's licking at her bottom too. I gave her a monthly heartworm chew that is meant to treat heartworm, fleas and worms about three weeks ago I bought online as it was cheaper. I'll get back to you with the name in a minute as I have to check the information. She shouldn't have worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No she's fully vaccinated and has always been healthy. That cost us only three weeks ago and I had to save for that, this is unexpected and vets here just charge with no option to pay off fees.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 3 months ago
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about your dog.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I cannot stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

Does the eye seem painful- is she squinting it a lot?