Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just adopted a 7 yr old pit mix 6 days ago. Gastrointestinal…

Customer Question
Just adopted a 7...

Just adopted a 7 yr old pit bull mix 6 days ago. Gastrointestinal issues. Gas, diminished appetite, gurgling noises in tummy. I believe he is eating dog poop in yard. Thinking of starting him om on pr pepcid. He weighs 80 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Tommy Boy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tommy?

He’s up to date on rabies, and had DHLPP administered 02/2018.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 26 days ago
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Tommy Boy.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I cannot stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

What are you feeding him?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Purina One Smartblend. Chicken and rice
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 26 days ago

Ok good, that's a good food. I'm assuming he just picks at it, and doesn't eat a whole lot at once?

Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 26 days ago

T​hose picky dogs often have excessive acid build up in their stomach, which causes more gas and that is what causes the gurgly noises (called borborygmus). I think Pepcid is a good idea, and if we could get him eating more regular meals, it might help as well. Have you tried putting a little canned food on the dry?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
just started mixing in a couple tablespoons yesterday. But I wondered if that was making gas worse? Lol. He is determined to sleep in my bed, so we’re both suffering.
Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 26 days ago

Lol, no doubt. What type of canned food are you using, and is it making him eat better?

Dog Veterinarian: Sean Egan,
 replied 26 days ago

hello?

Sean Egan
Sean Egan
Sean Egan