Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's a cavalier spaniel. She has crusty bumps that seem to…

Customer Question
She's a king cavalier...

She's a king cavalier spaniel. She has crusty bumps that seem to be itchy. I've had her to the vet twice as well as trying special shampoos and different chewables for yeast infections and skin problems. Nothing works.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the spaniel can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the spaniel's name and age?

My cocker spaniel is fine. So apparently it's not contagious. The king cavalier spaniel is 7 years old. Emma is a rescue dog. We've had her 2 years. Didn't start until last summer. She's been on antibiotics before. Seemed to help. Once gone, the itchy, scabby, bumps came back. She'll even lick the insides of her upper front legs until it looks like red hot spots, but not bumpy or scaly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the spaniel's name?

Emma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?

Well, she has chronic dry eye as well. We have medicine for that. It's an ongoing problem as well.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help.I am so sorry to hear about your sweet gal, Emma. It appears to me that she is suffering from allergies that cause a secondary pyoderma due to the scratching. For now, try this:Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to stop the itching.
Apply Betadine available at the pharmacy over the counter every 8 hrs which will dry out the skin so the bacteria cannot grow.If this does not help, have your vet try either Apoquel or Cytopount to handle the allergies and then the other issues will resolve.Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
This makes sense and I understand. I'll do those things first. How about an oatmeal or aloe shampoo /conditioner on her?
Good for you!! This breed can be very sensitive to allergens. An oatmeal medicated shampoo will help if done no more than weekly. Good luck!! I love this breed because they are so sweet and I am sure that Emma is special.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian